Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

AHPC X (3) - The First 3 Entries

These are the first 3 entries I posted in the Challenge this year. Riders of Rohan, and 2 gangs for Necromunda. Copied directly from the blog, the italic text is from the editor.

I had grand ambitions of getting these posted in the first day of the challenge but alas real life got a little in the way again this year. One of my short term goals is to play through the new War in Rohan book so I've been hammering away on my Rohan Army to go alongside the Uruk-Hai I started last challenge. First entry from me for this challenge is 12 Riders of Rohan.


These are regular plastic Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures mostly painted in a mad dash yesterday evening.




Twelve 28mm Cavalry should net me 120 points and put me up on the board. I can't wait to see what this year's challenge has in store.

_________________________________

Well Matt, you've put the extra time to good use as these Riders look terrific (I love the mass of them). I've always had a soft spot for these figures as they look so dynamic and seem very evocative of the books' description of the Riders.  I also like your clean brushwork, especially on the shields, and the bases really give the impression of them galloping across the plains of Rohan. Lovely stuff.

120 points for your debut on the board. Welcome to Challenge X, Matt!

One of the things I said going into this challenge was there were a couple games I wanted to put on the table by the time the challenge was over. In particular, Necromunda, This is Not a Test, Age of Hannibal, and Posideons Warriors. Although I took a break today to go see the new Star Wars, I managed to make a pretty good dent in one of them by painting my Delaque gang from start to finish.


I figured it'd be a good Christmas Day project because I airbrushed them leather brown and figured itd be a nice quick speed paint. What I did not account for was just how long it'd take to get that copper trim right however I think I managed to pull it off


There are ten figures in total and they were built with the out of the box instructions. I'm a fan of pretty much the whole box but these two are probably my favorites.



Anyway, 10 28mm figures should net me 50 Points.Merry Christmas!

_______________________________

Excellent work, Matt. I've always liked these figures, but have not seen them done up in brown and I must say they look really good! The copper was an excellent choice for the detail edging as it sets off so nicely against the rich brown base. Great work! 

Are you doing any other factions for Necromunda, or are you tackling another from your bucket list? I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

-Curt

As mentioned in my last post, I want to put this game on the table this Winter and I was on a roll with the last gang. I actually painted the first test figure for this group right after finishing the Delaque but I figured I'd post them all at once.


So this is ten figures, the new plastics, built by the instructions same as last time. I actually bought these the day the week they were released. I love the aesthetic with the candles and nooses. I bought them under the pretense that they'd look cool in a case even if I never played. I got them all built that night and then looked into what book I'd need to play it. At the time to play in a campaign I think I was told I'd need something like 3 or 4 different books to have all the rules for the gang so they went back on the to-do shelf and gathered dust until Dark Uprising and the Gangs of the Underhive book came out.

In particular I think these are my favorite figures of the bunch, the one on the left was the test figure.


Though I also have a soft spot for the gaudy leader type


I think they came out just a little dark, they look a little better in person. My photography skills are in definite need of improvement but overall I'm pretty happy with how these turned out and for me, the challenge is all about turning the lead pile into playable games.

 
I have a few other gangs for Necromunda but I think I'll get a test game or two in before I break the shrink on those. There are a few more models for this gang though (bomb rats) that I'll post as soon as I can find some bases for them. For now though, that's enough figures to get a game going, so its on to the next project for now.

10 28mm figures again for 50 points

_______________________________


Matt, you're on fire with these Necromunda gangers - excellent stuff. Cawdor is another great looking gang, with lots of gritty models. This being said, I think your use of blue as a contrast colour gives an interesting counterpoint to the otherwise earth(grease)tone of the models. I think my favourite one of the lot is the chap with the combination boat hook / blunderbuss. Easy to learn, hard to master?

Great work Matt. Which is the next gang coming up?

-Curt

2 comments:

  1. Dude for a quick paint job that is pretty damn amazing, and way faster than mine for sure!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been working hard on my speed painting

      Delete