Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

My 2019 in Review

As 2019 comes to a close, I've taken a bit of time to look back on the events I've attended, shows, games Ive played etc. Its been a crazy year for me hobby wise and I want to look back month by month here. This post is picture heavy and a long one so you can see more after the break


January
January started the year off in the middle of the Analogue Hobbies Paint Challenge IX. January was also Spartacon. This show was one of the first shows I set up sort of on my own. I had my buddy Drew with me as he was running the What a Tanker Toon Tank Game.


This month also saw us playing a bit of Blood and Plunder for the Hobby Knockout Podcast. Dan painted both our forces and we played a few games to test the rules while I was working on my Native force in the Challenge.


February
February was Flintcon. This is a smaller local show run by a friend of mine. At this show Dan and I ran our first game together for the podcast in the form of The Squig Hunt for Age of Sigmar.


March
March was an absolute blur. Cold Wars in PA and Battlefields here in Michigan where Drew set up another game of Toon Tanks started the month off but the absolute highlight was Adepticon. It was hard to find just a photo or two to encapsulate the experience so I'm going with this awful selfie I took when I got to meet Mel, the Terrain Tutor.
I don't photograph well so I'd be surprised if I subject you guys to any more photos of myself. Adepticon weekend was such a blur but getting to meet all kinds of new people was definitely my favorite part

April
No photo for April. April's big highlight was Little Wars. This is a smaller Historical Gaming Con in Lombard IL. We had a blast there but for one reason or another I didn't take many photos.

May
May was the month I bought my Prusa printer as well as the month of Wonderfest. Wonderfest is an amazing Garage Kit show in Louisville KY. We also were in Buffalo NY for AMPS (a modelling show) and I began redoing the game room.
Look at that absolute mess. It's looking so much nicer now but this was the very first step towards that.

June
If I pick one event for June to sum it all up, its gonna be StellaCon. StellaCon was a mini convention I helped organize through Michigan Toy Soldier. We had a whole weekend of gaming, classes, and a flea market.  I got to hang out with some of the other guys who help contribute to Michtoys blog and spend the weekend in a wonderful chaos. I ran a civil war game, a english civil war game, and a big game of Draculas America. On Sunday I taught an airbrush class.



July
July was a couple things. July was Historicon,  July was also the first interview we did on Hobby Knockout. At Historicon I interviewed Keith Stine, author of Disposable Heroes (among others) and member of Little Wars TV. Here's a photo of the game he ran at Historicon

July was also our second interview. Almost immediately after Historicon, the stars aligned and we interviewed Mel the Terrain Tutor long distance over Discord. Major Milestones for the podcast.

August
This month saw the arrival of a new printer in the form of the Resin printing, Elegoo Mars. I spent a week in Chattanooga TN at the IPMS Show and returned home to print and paint this Dwarf.
 
September
In September I formed the club I play with once a week now. I kicked off the festivities with the first playtest of my Spanish Civil War game and we've been gaming once a week since.
September was also a couple more shows. The Chicago Toy Soldier show which wasn't my thing at all but was interesting from a "history of toy soldiers" perspective.
Also Jerseyfest. Jerseyfest (absolutely my thing) is a garage kit show in Jersey. The drive is long but it's well worth the trip. This year, Rick and I took a Painting 1;1 scale busts class and I interview 4 people for the podcast at the show. It was stressful but very rewarding. The Garagekit industry is very welcoming.
The last week of September was also Pro or Con here in Michigan.

October
Octobers major high points were all delivered at The Chicago MMSI Figure show. I entered a piece at the show and took home a Bronze Medal for my Doctor Doom bust Sculpted by Troy Mcdevitt.
I put the first paint onto my Sean Kyle Mary Jane Figure I'll be entering in Wonderfest next year
I cohosted a Resin Maniacs Livestream on Facebook at the MMSI Show and I ran my Halloween Zombie game


November
In November I took the first actual Vacation I've taken in quite a while and went to PA for the week of Fall In. We got to visit the Club and set of Little Wars Tv and play a game of DH Point Blank with Keith, toured the USS New Jersey and Eastern State Penitentiary and ended up at Fall-In which saw us play a great Badab War game which got me back into 40k.






December
December sees the start of the AHPCX. I've been finishing out the year by wrapping up loose ends and relaxing before hitting 2020 with the ground running.
I started the Zone Mortalis project, worked on some new 40k stuff and continued to play a game a week at the club. As 2019 closes out I'm looking forward into 2020 optimistic for what it brings.
Thanks for reading everyone and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I can now say I know a guy who knows a guy at Little Wars TV, awesome;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete