Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Review of Gale Force Nine Battlefield in a Box: Badlands Terrain

Recently I picked up the whole range of Badlands Terrain from Battlefield in a Box by Gale Force Nine. After Searching around a bit online for information I couldn't really find the information I was looking for. The two things I was the most interested in were 1) How much space will one box of each configuration fill? 2) How does this stuff look on a "desert" mat?
Here's how this stuff looks as well as some thoughts on the range and photos of it "in action"
First of all here are the sets laid out on a 4 x 4 table.
I think you can already answer both questions with this photo. Assuming that you're planning on adding some sort of other terrain, whether its roads building etc, you can probably get away with one set each for a standard game of whatever.
Having said that the dark reddish color of these pieces makes them much more useful in my mind for things like 40k, Mad Max, This Is Not a Test, or Gaslands then say something like Modern Middle Eastern gaming for example. They would probably work in an Old West Setting.
For scale purposes pictured are a GW Rohan Warrior, a GW Necromunda Figure, and an Eureak Modern Taliban Figure.
First is the Pillars Set
The "Tors"
 The Plateau
The Bluff
 Finally a shot of a 4 x 4 with the sets mixed in.
So what do I think? I think I'm a fan. Our club had talked in the past of playing Gaslands, or Gorkamorka and I think this stuff is perfect for it. It came exactly as you see it and all I had to do was unwrap the bubble wrap it was packed in and boom, good to go. Having said that, it's too red in my opinion to use for Middle Eastern Terrain which is fine but a little disapointing. I think with the addition of some other less scatter type pieces or one more of the larger formations youd have a pretty nice table.
There are a couple minor problems, however.
First of all, the way they're packaged. The sets come with each piece wrapped individually in bubble wrap. Evidently this isn't enough as you can see below.
These appear to just be hotglued on to me, as evidenced in this photo. Not a deal breaker by any means especially considering the low cost.
One other slightly more major issue however is the warpage on this piece
I ordered one set of the pilars off of ebay prior to ordering this larger pile from my FLGS and it appears they used to be packaged differently and although I'm sure the new way is cheaper, I'd rather have stuff arrive intact
So, long story short, I'm happy. The cost is right, the whole set retailing for 120 It's an affordable way to fill a table. Sure, I could probably make something similar with foam but honestly, I won't. I'll make a plan to, and never follow through. I think these photos will speak for themselves and give people a better idea of how the stuff looks on an average table.

No comments:

Post a Comment