Pages

Monday, March 20, 2023

Goal Completed - Try Moonstone

 So the wife and I had a chance to get some gaming in this past weekend and I had just put the finishing touches on the Moonstone Starter box I've been working on since lord knows when. I'm not generally one for an after action report but the game basically came down to the roll off for first activation of the final turn. It was a super close game with my wife playing the Goblins and me playing the humans. I went ahead and started prepping Boulder to add to my collection and something about the figure has grabbed me in a way figures haven't grabbed me in a while. Expect more photos of moonstone stuff down the road

Here are the contents of the two player starter box. I'll do a quick write up sometime soon about how i did the bases because they weren't a lot of effort and I'm very happy with them.  





As a starter set I think its a great buy, you get just enough to decide if you want to buy further and as a contained experience it was enjoyable. It has super unique mechanics and played quickly.

I managed to actually get a second game in as well and have some further quick thoughts on the rules. I think the game is really solid but I'm not sure where it sits on my shelf. I enjoyed it quite a bit and absolutely loved painting the models but with a lot of boutique games I feel like the sweet spot is "a group who plays where everyone has their own faction/collection" and with this game I simply can't imagine a group where a few people go in on it. Maybe it exists better as a convention style multiplayer game? I think the game is an underrated gem but I do sort of feel like I understand why I haven't spoke to anyone else playing it. Thankfully I love the figures enough that I'm happy with my small (and probably still growing) collection but I do wonder how often I'll end up playing it. 

I'd like to try a 3 player, a 4 player and maybe a campaign game before I decide if it will hit the table or go into the cabinet but I just adore the figures so much that I may just paint what I have. Either way this completes one of my self challenges and for that I'm happy. 

As a totally unrelated aside, I think my biggest road block to blogging has been pictures. I really want to get this thing rolling (case in point this was originally written on Jan 28.) but the room I paint in now is terrible for photos, and it always seems like such an ordeal to drag stuff upstairs just for photos. I've already easily done more hobby so far this year than last year in total but you'd never know it from lack of social media posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment